Through the help of friends and fans of the 1880s internationally-awarded theme park, Silver Dollar City made its way to the very top of the list, earning the title for the nation’s “Best Theme Park Holiday Event.”
The USA Today/10 Best poll originates with selections made by an editorial board of the newspaper and travel experts before going out to the public for the voting process. The poll is respected as one of the leading indicators of excellence for national events.
- Christmas in Midtown, a 70,000 sq. ft. area filled with new light displays 9 stories high, including 30 angels, animated reindeer pulling a sleigh, 3 light tunnels, two 40-foot long moving trains, dozens of stars and snowflakes, and a 50-foot tree, all created at Silver Dollar City.
- Christmas in Midtown adds 1.5 million new lights, bringing the park’s total to 6.5 million lights!
Rudolph’s Holly Jolly Christmas Light Parade, led by the most famous reindeer of all, features musical lighted floats with 200,000 lights accompanied by 33 costumed characters.
- Rudolph’s Christmas Town, where kids can meet Rudolph™, Clarice™ and Bumble™, also includes activities from Reindeer Games to cookie decorating.
- Two original musical productions present Broadway-style experiences, with elaborate sets and talented casts: It’s a Wonderful Life, adapted from the Frank Capra classic, and the acclaimed production A Dickens’ Christmas Carol.
- The Christmas on Main Street light & sound show features the 5-Story Special Effects Christmas Tree with over 350,000 colorful LED lights.
- Tinker Junior’s Toy Shop is an interactive show for kids featuring a 12-foot talking and singing Christmas tree. Kids can meet Santa in Santa Claus Lane, illuminated in colorful lights.
- Plus, the festival presents holiday shows, a musical Living Nativity, shows, rides, shopping and new Silver Dollar City dining specialties.
The news was announced at 11am CST/noon EST today following four weeks of voting by USA Today readers and theme park fans. Other finalists included events at Disney, SeaWorld, Dollywood, Six Flags, Busch Gardens/Tampa and Williamsburg.
Silver Dollar City’s long-acclaimed “An Old Time Christmas” has gained several new accolades this holiday season including being named in CNN’s 7 Best Places to See Christmas Lights in the USA, Travel Channel’s 8 Holiday Light Displays You Don’t Want to Miss, US News & World Report’s America’s Top 14 Theme Parks for the Holidays, Southern Living’s Best Christmas Tree in Every State, and spotlighted for top Christmas events by the Associated Press, USA Today Christmas wrap-up and the Denver Post.
Silver Dollar City’s An Old Time Christmas, with 6.5 million lights, runs through December 30, featuring the new Christmas In Midtown, Rudolph’s Holly Jolly™ Christmas Light Parade, two original musical productions, a 5-Story Special Effects Christmas Tree, holiday dining and more.
“This means so much to us because the end result is determined by our guests, our friends and the loyal fans of Silver Dollar City,” said Brad Thomas, President of Silver Dollar City Attractions. “To the many who voted, thank you so very much,” concluded Thomas.
Also new this year is a New Year’s Celebration on December 31 and January 1. Schedules/details: www.silverdollarcity.com, or 800-831-4FUN(386).