The IRS is now requiring proof of residency to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit for qualifying dependents (all children being claimed on the return). These credits can be very beneficial to millions of low- and moderate-income workers.
The following documents are acceptable proof of residency:
- School Records
- Medical Records
- Social Service Records or Statement
- Daycare Records
- Placement Agency Statement
- Indian Tribal Official Statement
If you are using a statement or letter it needs to be on the official letterhead of the office or agency providing it. Bring one of these documents for each dependent being claimed on your EIC when you come to your tax appointment.
Other items required by the IRS for filing your tax return with a paid preparer:
- Copies of social security cards for everyone listed on the tax return.
- A picture ID issued by a government agency. Driver’s License or state issued ID.
- Proof of health insurance
– Peggy Beasterfeld, Owner, Peggy’s Tax and Accounting Service, Topeka, KS