Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas is banning gatherings or events of 10 or more people. The move came, according to the mayor’s office, in consultation with a variety of health officials rolled out the bans and other new guidelines Monday.
In addition to banning gatherings of 10 or more, the mayor rolled out these guidelines:
- With the support of superintendents from all 14 school districts and other education leaders that educate Kansas City students, all schools, public, private, charter and parochial, will close no later than Wednesday, March 18, until the end of the emergency notice.
- Restaurants and taverns should serve customers via drive-thru, pickup, or delivery.
- Businesses are strongly encouraged to evaluate which employees are essential and allow non-essential employees to work from home.
- No visits to nursing homes and retirement or long-term care facilities are permissible.
- Entire households are required to self-quarantine if someone in their home tests positive for COVID-19. They are also strongly encouraged to self-quarantine if anyone in their household is exhibiting symptoms consistent with common symptoms of COVID-19 (i.e. fever, dry cough).
In a news release, Mayor Lucas said:
I care first and foremost about the health and safety of all Kansas City residents, and this decision was not made lightly. We understand these drastic measures will have unprecedented impacts on our local businesses and working families and recognize that this is one of the most challenging periods our city and nation has ever faced. I know for certain that our residents will band together during this period of crisis to offer assistance and support to each other.
I am constantly collaborating with regional governments to ensure consistency and speed in our response efforts. I will continue working round-the-clock with our partners on all levels of government to identify relief measures for everyone impacted and resolve this situation as quickly as possible, while continuing to ensure the well-being of the greater public.