Home / Lifestyles / Finances / Tax tips for extension filers

Tax tips for extension filers

The IRS reminds taxpayers who requested an extra six months to file their 2017 tax return that Monday, October 15, 2018, is the extension deadline for most taxpayers. (Except for business tax return extensions, for which the deadline is September 15, 2018.)

Peggy Beasterfeld

For taxpayers who have not yet filed, here are a few tips to keep in mind about the extension deadline and taxes:

  • Taxpayers can still e-file returns for free using IRS Free File. The program is available only on IRS.gov. Filing electronically is the easiest, safest and most accurate way to file taxes.
  • For taxpayers owed a refund, the fastest way to get it is to combine direct deposit and e-file.
  • Taxpayers who owe taxes should consider using IRS Direct Pay. It’s a simple, quick and free way to pay from a checking or savings account using a computer or mobile device. There are also other online payment options.
  • Members of the military and those serving in a combat zone generally get more time to file. Military members typically have until at least 180 days after leaving a combat zone to both file returns and pay any tax due.
  • The IRS recommends that taxpayers always keep a copy of tax returns for their records. Keeping copies of tax returns can help taxpayers prepare future tax returns or assist with amending a prior year’s return.


  • Peggy Beasterfeld, Owner, Peggy’s Tax and Accounting Service