Operation Backpack’s Weekend Food Sacks are helping fill the need for food in the North Topeka and Oakland communities. These sacks contain a 2-day supply of nutritional, non-perishable, single serving size food items. Normally distributed to children on Fridays to ensure they have food for the weekends, Operation Backpack is now helping fill the gaps during the COVID-19 epidemic.
Operation Backpack, a program of Topeka North Outreach, will distribute Food Sacks as a “grab & go” drive-through at the following locations and times:
Tuesday & Friday 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm
- Northland Christian Church, 3102 NW Topeka Blvd.
- North Topeka Baptist Church, 123 NW Gordon
- Oakland United Methodist Church, 801 NE Chester Ave
- Seaman Community Church, 2036 NW Taylor
- Silver Lake United Methodist Church, 204 Madore Street, Silver Lake, KS
- Topeka Church of the Brethren, 3201 NW Rochester Rd
Friday 11 am – 12 noon: Kids only!
- Chase Middle School, 2250 NE State St.
- Quincy Elementary School, 1500 NE Quincy St.
- Seaman Middle School, 5530 NW Topeka Blvd
Sunday 1:00 – 2:00 pm:
- Brittany Place Mobile Home Park, 1735 NW Lyman Rd
- Coachlight Village Mobile Home Courts N, 195 NE Coachlight Dr
- Emery Lake Apartments, 4800 NW Fielding Pl
- Evening Star Mobile Home Park, 1441 N Taylor
- Garfield Estates, 1800 NE Burgess Ct
- Mathes Early Learning Center, 2032 N. Kansas Ave
- Meadowood Mobile Home Park, 1900 NW Lyman Rd
- Sunflower, 106 NW US Hwy 24
- Woodland Park at Soldier Creek, NW Redbud Cir
Food sacks will be given away at the above locations on a drive through basis to children, elderly, and disabled who live in North Topeka, Oakland and the surrounding communities. (Proof of address must be shown.) Food sacks will be given away to those who attend, on a first come, first serve basis until they are gone. Please do not attend if you are sick or have been in contact with anyone sick, or been out of the state.
Topeka North Outreach, Inc. is a humanitarian relief organization comprised of local churches that have united to extend a helping hand to the poor and oppressed in their time of need. Chartered in 1971 as a 501c3 organization, TNO has served Topeka for over 48 years. Their mission statement is “Reaching Out to Our Neighbor in Need with The Love of Christ”.
For more information or to help with this effort, contact TNO at 286-1370, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations of non-perishable food can be dropped off at the above distribution spots day & times. Contributions are tax-deductible & may be mailed to 210 NW Menninger Rd., Topeka, KS, 66617, or given online at www.topekanorthoutreach.org.
–Lee Hartman | Metro Voice
Go here to visit the Topeka Metro Voice Facebook page for local event notices, breaking news and local announcements. To help us spread the word, and to continue seeing our posts on your Facebook feed, “Like” the page and then like or share a story now and then, so that they will keep showing up in your feed.