Drury University in Springfield is the only school in Missouri or Kansas to make the list of Christian colleges and universities with ties to Planned Parenthood. The revelation came through research by Students for Life of America.
“Drury University, a United Church of Christ-affiliated school, is promoting Planned Parenthood as a resource and internship opportunity on their school website,” according to the group.
The organization announced the preliminary findings of its ongoing investigation into more than 700 Christian colleges and universities across the United States, which found that as many as 100 have “quiet relationships” with Planned Parenthood that “fly under the radar.”
Christian colleges found to have relationships with Planned Parenthood in Students for Life’s first wave of research include four Catholic institutions, five Lutheran schools, six universities affiliated with the United Methodist Church, two Methodist institutions, two colleges affiliated with the Presbyterian Church, one Methodist Episcopal university, one university affiliated with the United Church of Christ, one university affiliated with the Disciples of Christ and a theological seminary affiliated with the Reformed Church in America.
The types of connections Christian colleges’ were found to have with Planned Parenthood include such things as “advertising Planned Parenthood internships and career postings; referring students to Planned Parenthood as a resource; incorporating Planned Parenthood into medical school rotations; and hosting events for students with the abortion giant.”
“There is an unholy partnership between a number of Christian schools and the abortion industry,” said Kristan Hawkins, president of Students for Life. “We want to equip pro-life advocates to take action and encourage schools to disentangle themselves from Big Abortion. It is crucial that colleges and universities that claim an affiliation with the Christian faith and biblical values do not contradict those values by partnering with or promoting perpetrators of abortion violence.”
A Facebook page titled “Voices for Planned Parenthood – VOX Drury University” has been deactivated.
Students for Life says that two of the first 25 schools released — Messiah College and St. Francis University, both in Pennsylvania — removed their connection to Planned Parenthood after being contacted by pro-life advocates.
The remaining 23 schools with ties to Planned Parenthood released in the first wave of research are:
- American University (D.C.), Methodist
- Augsburg University (MN), Lutheran
- Augustana College (IL), Lutheran
- California Lutheran University (CA), Lutheran
- Drury University (MO), United Church of Christ
- Eckerd College (FL), Presbyterian
- Emory University (GA), Methodist Episcopal
- Fordham University (NY), Catholic
- Luther College (IA), Lutheran
- Macalester College (MN), Presbyterian
- McKendree University (IL), United Methodist
- New Brunswick Theological Seminary (NJ)
- Ohio Wesleyan (OH), United Methodist
- Oklahoma City University (OK), United Methodist
- Paine College (GA), Methodist
- Roanoke College (VA), Lutheran
- Saint Joseph’s University (PA), Catholic
- Saint Norbert College (WI), Catholic
- Southwestern University (TX), United Methodist
- Trinity Washington University (D.C.), Catholic
- University of Indianapolis (IN), United Methodist
- University of Lynchburg (VA), Disciples of Christ
- West Virginia Wesleyan (WV), United Methodist
–Alan Goforth | Metro Voice