“The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which the candidates would participate from separate remote locations,” the Commission on Presidential Debates said in a statement Thursday morning about the Oct. 15 event.
The change to a virtual format, made “in order to protect the health and safety of all involved with the second presidential debate,” follows the president testing positive for the coronavirus last week just two days after he debated the Democratic presidential nominee, potentially exposing Biden to the virus.
“The town meeting participants and the moderator, Steve Scully, Senior Executive Producer & Political Editor, C-SPAN Networks, will be located at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County in Miami, Florida. The White House Pool will provide coverage of the second presidential debate,” the commission said.
Earlier this week, Biden said that the debate should not be held if Trump still has the virus.
Biden said that he was “looking forward to being able to debate” the president, but that they need to “follow very strict guidelines.
CDC Guidelines, which some Democrats are now questioning, states that a person quarantine for 10 days. Trump will have met those requirements before the time of the debate.