Vice President Mike Pence was criticized this week for offering a prayer during a meeting on the coronavirus. Democrats, Hollywood actors and media outlets blasted the effort as “anti-science.” But the comments did not stop Pence, or people around the world this week, from joining a coalition of Christians turning to prayer as a response to the crisis.
Cindy Jacobs of Generals International said she received a word from God to call for a global day of prayer, and the call spread quickly around the globe.
The world is gripped with fear because of the Coronavirus. We pray for the people of China & other nations where this virus is spreading. Our hearts go out to those who are sick & suffering & to the families who are grieving the loss of loved ones. https://t.co/waJ4m0zOQe
— Franklin Graham (@Franklin_Graham) February 27, 2020
“After seeking wisdom and prophetic counsel from prophets across the nation and world, we believe strongly that since this is a worldwide issue, it’s going to take the whole church to cry out together for the mercy and healing power of God to contain it,” she said.
Christians around the world are asked to continue praying and fasting.
Here are the primary points to focus on:
- Pray Psalm 91 over your families and nations. “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”
- Pray against fear, knowing that God has not given us a spirit of fear. 2 Timothy 1:7 says, “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”
- Pray for wisdom for our leaders and protection for the emergency responders while protecting their people and preventing the spread of the virus.
- Pray for Christians to have courage and share the word effectively through this time of crisis.
- Pray that the forces of evil don’t use the virus to disrupt the coming revival.
- John 10:10 tells us, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.”
- Pray that God will cease the coronavirus worldwide, and that He will heal everyone who is currently affected by it.
- Devote yourselves, your families, and your nation to God through the taking of communion and remember Passover.