Allies of former President Donald Trump launched a new social media platform called GETTR on July 4. The platform’s mission statement says it is fighting cancel culture, promoting common sense, defending free speech, challenging social media monopolies and creating a true marketplace of ideas.
Former Trump senior advisor Jason Miller, who is leading the platform, told Fox News that the name GETTR was inspired by the idea of getting together. “Let’s get together, we’re talking about a sense of community,” he said. “We think it will ultimately be a global platform. We want people from all political stripes to join the platform.”
Miller said the launch date references the true meaning of freedom.
“This ties in with Independence Day,” he said. “Independent from social media monopolies, independent from cancel culture; embracing free speech — our launch on Sunday is very much intentional. We believe there needs to be a new social media platform that really defends free speech and one that doesn’t deplatform for political beliefs. This is a challenge to social media monopolies.”
GETTR users can post messages with up to 777 characters, host videos up to three minutes in length and edit videos within the app. Users can import their existing tweets into this new platform after signing up, Miller said.
The initiative to create GETTR came after Trump was banned from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat this year, a measure put in place against him after the Capitol Hill riot on January 6. CBN News previously reported in January that Trump was looking into creating his own social media site after Twitter banned him.
Finally, Miller explained that GETTR strives to create a diverse community for its users and that it’s “not just for conservatives but for folks from all political affiliations around the world to join.”
The site registered over 1 million users in the first 3 days, according to Miller.
–Alan Goforth | Metro Voice