The organization gives this award each year to recognize individuals who sacrificially work to advance the cause of protecting the unborn. It cited a number of reasons for its choice:
- During Trump’s administration, he has done more to protect unborn lives than any other president in U.S. history.
- When he first took office, he immediately set out to defund groups that promote abortion worldwide. He established policies at the Department of Health and Human Services that completely changed the philosophy of government from one that favored abortion businesses such as Planned Parenthood to one that promised to protect life “from conception until natural death.”
- His new Protect Life Rule blocked Planned Parenthood and other abortionists from receiving millions in Title X family planning grants.
- Most recently, the Trump administration withheld $200 million from California for requiring all health insurance policies to include abortion coverage.
- Earlier this year, Trump pulled out of the pro-abortion United Nations’ World Health Organization. The WHO is one of the world’s top promoters and funders of abortion internationally.
- Trump has appointed three Supreme Court justices — Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett, the first openly pro-life Justice on the Supreme Court. This has produced the first conservative majority on the high court in decades.
- Trump’s more than 300 judicial appointments give pro-life supporters new hope that life-affirming legislation will withstand legal challenges. These appointments have created a climate where the possibility of overturning Roe v. Wade now exists and have placed the nation on a course toward building an abortion-free America.
- Trump has strengthened conscience clauses so no one can be forced to participate in an abortion who has moral objections to it. Just recently, the Department of Justice, acting under these strong conscious protections, sued a Vermont hospital for forcing a nurse to participate in an abortion against her conscience.
- He has also protected religious liberties that ensure Americans can continue advocating on behalf of the unborn.
“President Trump has done more to build a culture of life in the United States than all previous presidents combined,” Operation Rescue President Troy Newman said, speaking of the Person of the Year award. “It is my honor to acknowledge these accomplishments and relay my deep gratitude to him for keeping and exceeding all his promises when it comes to the matter of abortion. He is a worthy recipient of the 2020 Person of the Year Malachi Award.”
–Alan Goforth | Metro Voice