The U.S. Department of Justice continues to target pro-life activities even after one protester was found innocent in federal court.
Now, eight more people face federal charges of blocking access to an abortion clinic in Sterling Heights, Mich., in 2020.
The group, according the charges, worked to “conspire and agree with one another and with persons known and unknown to the grand jury to oppress and intimidate patients and employees of the NFPC in the free exercise and enjoyment of the rights and privileges secured to them by the laws of the United States, namely, the rights to obtain reproductive health services,” according to the indictment by the U.S. Department of Justice.
All eight of the accused allegedly violated the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act by “using physical obstruction to intimidate and interfere with the Sterling Heights clinic’s employees and patients” because they believed abortions would be performed there. Witnesses say they were praying outside the clinic.
The Justice Department has admitted that the escalation of enforcement of the FACE Act has partially been motivated by the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade. The Biden administration has made it a matter of urgency to find creative ways to circumvent and undermine the ruling through aggressive executive action against prolife activists.
On January 30, Mark Houck, a prolifer and Catholic father of seven, was acquitted in federal court of charges of violating the FACE Act in connection with two incidents on October 12, 2021 at a Philadelphia abortion clinic. Houck allegedly had pushed an abortion clinic employee during a verbal skirmish. A team of 15 FBI agents arrested Houck in September 2022 by showing up at the family’s home and loudly banging on the door, Houck’s wife said.
Houck told podcast host Steve Bannon last month that he plans to consult his lawyers about potentially pressing charges against the FBI agents and state troopers who stormed his house.
–Dwight Widaman | Metro Voice