Home / News / Local / Woman killed at Chiefs parade is identified
chiefs woman
Lisa Lopez-Galvan. Photo: Facebook

Woman killed at Chiefs parade is identified

Kansas City authorities have released the name of a woman killed at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl celebration.

Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a mother of two from Overland Park, was killed during the shooting which came after the end of the official celebration. Galvan was a radio DJ who hosted Taste of Tejano on KKFI radio.

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves announced 22 other people were injured and that three individuals were taken into custody after the shooting which brought international news coverage. Authorities also announced that nine of the victims were children.

Social media posts appear to show parade-goers tackling one of the suspects while police removed another suspect in handcuffs.

At the same time, hundreds of people jumped in to offer aid to victims of the shooting and those injured fleeing the scene.

“Shots were fired west of Union Station near the garage, and multiple people were struck. We took two armed people into custody for more investigation,” the Kansas City Missouri Police Department (KCPD) said in a statement on Feb. 14, not long after shots rang out, sending terrified fans running for cover.

“We do have three persons detained and under investigation for today’s incident,” KCPD chief Stacey Graves said at a 5:25 p.m. press conference, the second update on the violence that broke out at the high-profile event.

Graves said investigators were aware of rumors that some celebrating fans rushed and tackled one of the gunmen, though she said she couldn’t immediately confirm that this was indeed the case.

At the press conference, Kansas City Fire Department Chief Ross Grundyson said that officials weren’t expecting the outbreak of violence but were ready for it.

Grundyson said that, of the 22 gunshot victims, there were eight with immediately life-threatening injuries and six with minor injuries.


“This is absolutely a tragedy, the likes of which we would have never expected in Kansas City and the likes of which we will remember for some time,” said Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas, at a press conference.

The mayor said he’s “heartbroken” and praying for the victims and families impacted.

“I’m incredibly upset, disappointed,” Lucas said. “I was there with my wife. I was there with my mother. We never would have thought that we, along with Chiefs players, along with fans, hundreds of thousands of people, would be forced to run for our safety today.”

Drue Tranquill, a linebacker for the Chiefs, took to social media to call the shooting a “heinous act.”

“Please join me in prayer for all the victims in this heinous act,” he wrote. “Pray that doctors & first responders would have steady hands & that all would experience full healing.”

Patrick Mahomes, the Chiefs’ quarterback, said in a post on X: “Praying for Kansas City.”

Around 1 million parade goers filled the streets with some saying it beat the previous record for crowd size. Spring-like weather and dozens of school districts cancelling classes added to the numbers.

In a Twitter post after the initial thread announcing the shooting, Kansas City police shared a video taken from a helicopter showing a massive crowd outside Union Station.

“Kansas City, you look incredible at the @chiefs parade,” KCPD wrote. “We are honored to serve you on the ground and overhead.”

This is a developing story.

–Metro Voice and wire services


Leave a Reply